I have to admit that I’m a sucker for new innovations and even repeats of the oldie but goodie. When I saw the Sly Fox Helles release (in that fancy convertible can), I immediately started thinking of beer can chicken. When I popped that top, unlimited possibilities utilizing the all-open sunroof of that clever example of aluminum genius danced through my toxified mind.
The Sly Fox Helles has a classic German malt profile in the aroma, mainly pils, with a simple hop background used exclusively for bitters, allowing the malt to shine through in every sip. As you may have guessed, this is the perfect outdoor BBQ beer with just enough of everything to get you through cooking for your guests.
• 1 whole Lancaster County chicken, washed well and patted dry
• 2 cans Sly Fox Helles
• 2 pints water
• 1 cup kosher salt
• 1 cup brown sugar
• 1⁄4 cup Madras curry powder
• 1 tbsp. allspice
• 3 oz. minced garlic
• 2 bunches of Thai basil
• 2 oz. star anise
• Toast all of your spices until fragrant.
• Add the salt, sugar, garlic and water. Bring to a boil.
• Add your 2 cans of Sly Fox and place in the cooler.
• Chill until 40o, then toss that tasty bird in the icy bath along with the Thai basil.
• Place a plate on top, weighing the chicken down overnight.
*Note: You can use the chicken after 12 hours, but I prefer 2 days.
• Next, take your Helles can (with the beer in it) and place 3 sprigs each; rosemary, thyme, oregano, curly parsley, Thai basil & sage in the can. Be sure to snip the stems to get those aromas flowing.
• Place this canned herbal bouquet inside your chicken while positioning “him” Indian style.
(Unless you have one of those fancy beer can chicken gadgets, which work all the same.)
• Using an indirect cooking method and natural lump coal along with some chunks of cherry wood, start smoking, covered, to the internal temperature of 165o in the thickest part of the thigh.
• Then, just start shredding the meat off that bad boy when well-rested!
• No assembly needed on this season’s recipe. This is just straight, simple, smokey chicken goodness paired with one of our best East Coast lagers. Enjoy on fresh tortillas with lime and slaw!